Background

Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 13, 2011

My first blogging inspiration creation - my Book Barn

So, at the beginning of the summer, my blogging adventure began and a particular picture on a blog caught my eye...  Reagan Tunstall (http://tunstalltimes.blogspot.com/) had taken pictures of her classroom (which is SUPER adorable by the way)... 

There was one thing in her classroom that I decided I just couldn't live without... uhhhh...  I mean, my STUDENTS couldn't live without....  ;)  She had an adorable book barn that I decided my husband and I would attempt to re-create... 

My hubby and I have never built anything unless it came with an instruction manual (which he always refuses to use anyway)...  so I knew this was going to be an interesting adventure.  I used the pictures on Reagan's blog to try to figure the dimensions on my own since I couldn't find a pattern for it anywhere...  My grandfather helped us to create the shelves for the roof and to cut the trim (in my humble opinion, the HARDEST part of it all)....  The picture on the front is a 12x12 canvas that I decoupaged and hung above the door.  The canvases can be swapped out to other designs.  Once we can set up our classrooms, I have a welcome mat for the entrance, a rug for the inside and pillows for the students to lean against while they're reading inside...  I'm still undecided as to whether or not I should use push lights inside or string Christmas lights... 

Book Barn by the Oyler's (and Pappaw!!!!) ;)

I'd love to hear your comments and suggestions!  We are proud of it and I'm already looking for our next creation to build....  My hubby?  Not so excited about that idea....  ;) 

4 comments:

  1. You did such a great job! I love it.

    ❤Jodi from...
    ★★The Clutter-Free Classroom★★
    Helping Teachers Get Organized

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jodi!!!!!! I can't wait to get all the little details together and post another picture.... All we did was "deliver" it to the school... I have rugs and lights and pillows.... I hope the kids will love it as much as I do! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh My Goodness!!! GREAT JOB!!!! :) I feel like a proud momma. ha ha...I love it. You are totally my bff now forever. I am laughing that you called me the real book barn lady.
    Here's a couple tips:
    NO more than 2 kids in there ever...NOTHING goes in or out the windows, If you are in the book barn you are reading. :) Once you set those guidelines, it will be a VERY LOVED spot in the room for both you and your students. !!!Also you will be known now as the barn room teacher. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. THANK YOU REAGAN!!!! I really appreciate the tips ~ I think I'll type them up to post near the barn! ;)

    I was thinking that I'll post a sign ACROSS the door that says "GRAND OPENING SOON" before our "back to school" night so I don't have a million kids running in and out of it while I'm trying to meet with parents!!!! ;) Then go over "BB" expectations while I do the expectations of all the other areas in my room...

    Again, thank you for your original posting ~ for the inspiration ~ and for sharing.... ;)

    Signed Your BBFF (Book Barn Friend Forever ~ he/he),
    Jenn Oyler

    ReplyDelete